Picture of the Month (February 2009)
Dedicated User Captions:
1. First Contact: CQ, this is W9GFO. CQ, this is W9GFO here. Come back?
2. Hallooo Echoooo
3. jemandem ein geneigtes Ohr leihen OR schenken / to lend sb an ear OR a sympathetic ear (Collins Deutsch-English)
Read more captions (not voted, latest on top)
- Frühe Hi-Fi Anlagen auf der Funkausstellung
- The cleaning abilities of the new dish liquid are truely incredible
(by Meister Proper)
- schalla lalla la
(by o o o )
- You can almost hear the crashing of the waves.
- The design craze finally reached capital punishment
|This image shows a device called "Schallspiegel" [acoustic mirror] which was designed to demonstrate acoustic reflections. The experimental setting, as shown above, was part of a larger exposition in the late 19th century at the Urania in Berlin. This location played a decisive role in the beginning movement of the popularisation of science, which found its expression in a growing interest in experiment kits for the public as well. |
- Denkschrift zum 25 jährigen Bestehen der Urania [25th Anniversary, 1913]
- Guide through the Urania.
- Meyer, Wilhelm. 1890. Ueber populäre Wissenschaft [On popular science].
See also an essay by Viola van Beek: Experimental spaces outside the laboratory – Experiment kits and instruction manuals around 1900
Bendt, Franz. 1896. Die neue Berliner "Urania". Gartenlaube, no. 38: 632-637
[Back to Archive]